Halbstein and Parrish Family Tree
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]


» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29» Next»     » Slide Show

Julius Dudock Autobiography, parts VI, VII, VIII, IX


It was about then that my mother was introduced to Benjamin Goloboff, a widower without any children.  He was a very nice man that had been very successful in a milk business he owned in Worcester, Mass.  However, by the time my mother met him his business was lost and his wife had committed suicide by taking gas.  When his business and financial security were gone, his wife could not live any longer and found a way of ending her life.

He moved to Brooklyn shortly after that and he was earning a living selling fruit and vegetables to stores in the neighborhood where we were living at the time.  He owned a large Reo truck that he used, when he went to the market in New York to buy the merchandise he sold to the fruit and vegetable stores.  He never worked for anyone else in his entire life, although he was once a wealthy man, he had lost his fortune in the real estate business back in Worcester, Mass.

When he first came to America from Russia, he settled in Worcester because he had good friends there.  He had lived there with his wife for more than thirty years.  After she died and his property was taken over by the bank, he could not stay there any longer so he came to Brooklyn for a new start, and settled in Brownsville where he had a few friends that he knew from his home town in Russia.  He played in a musical band back home and had many pictures of the band with him in it playing the clarinet.

He asked my mother to marry him, and his friends would come and speak to my mother telling her what a fine man he was, and trying to convince her to marry him.  They came many times to see my mother and talk to her for hours trying to convince her that he is a very fine person and that she wouldnít be making a mistake marrying him.  After about six months - it was the beginning of June in 1932 my mother decided to marry Benjamin Goloboff.  They went for the license, then got married and rented a room for the summer in Coney Island on Sea Breeze Ave. at West 8th Street.  It was right across from the Sea Breeze park where the aquarium is now.

My sister and brother remained in our apartment on Grafton Street, and so did I.  When my mother remarried the widowís pension and aid to the children were stopped.  After the summer Mr. Benjamin Goloboff started talking about moving out of Brooklyn.  He was convinced that his business would improve greatly in a small town.  He said that Avenel New Jersey would be the place to move, because he had some friends and relatives there that were established in business and they would be helpful in getting him started there.

Benny went there all by himself in December of 1932 and rented a small house.  It was so inexpensive there that a whole house and garage rented for thirty five dollars a month.  Around Christmas my mother, sister and brother moved out there, and Benny started his new business in Avenel, New Jersey.  They were now living very close to Perth Amboy where the farmers sold their produce wholesale to store-keepers and middlemen.  They also sold to fruit and vegetable peddlers, and thatís what he became - a fruit and vegetable peddler in and around Avenel and some surrounding towns.  

In the meantime I had no place to live so I found a room that was nicely furnished, on Avenue U near East Twelfth Street in Brooklyn.  So I rented this furnished room from a young woman, whose husband drove a cab.  It cost ten dollars a week in advance.  My sister Irma and her family were living on E. 13th St. near Avenue (?) at the time, they had two children, Norma and Phyllis.

I visited them once in awhile, but not often.  I would go to work every day on the Brighton line for a nickel, it was very convenient to travel fromt here and after I lived there for about a month, the woman I rented the room from introduced me to her younger sister.  She was about two years younger than me.  She was living there too because she had no parents and no job.  She was a fine girl, built beautifully full blown and dark like my mother.  

I asked her if she would like to go out one evening and she said that would be very nice.  We went out a few times, going to a movie and then to a Chinese restaurant for some chicken chow mein or foo young which was her favorite dish.  We did not have the chance to sleep together, although we both wanted to.  Her sister was always around and we could not afford to hire a room somewhere else.  We were really not in love with each other, and pretty soon she started going out with a cab driver her brother-in-law introduced her to.  After a couple of months they were married and they went to live with his mother in the Bronx.  

I never saw her again, and as a matter of fact I moved out myself in a few weeks.  After living by myself for nearly a year, my mother had moved back to Brooklyn on East 26th street.  The move out to Avenel NJ was a complete bust; Benny couldnít make a living there no way and so back to Brooklyn they came.  I moved to their apartment because they needed my help in paying the rent and other expenses.  

On weekends I would go to my club in East New York.  It was called the Axonia Social Club, and my cousin Julius Edelstein was a member there too.  We had fourteen young men as members.  Most of the members were in college, the rest working and we all paid our dues every week which was three dollars, except when we needed more to cover the cost of throwing a party.  We would have parties often, and also dances at least once a month.  On Saturday nights we would ask some girls to come down for dancing and refreshments.

Some of the boys had steady girls, who would come to the club and many times stay all night. Plenty went on there and of course nobody said anything, because all members had the same privileges.  It was just too bad if some did not use the rooms while others did.  I remember one member, his name was Sammy and he worked in his brotherís dress factory in the city.  He had almost every woman in the shop coming to the club during the week; he had a key to let himself in and out and they would all end up on the couch with him making love.  None of them there Jewish, and all of them had good shapes and good looking, too.  

One Saturday night I met Betty Portnoy, and this is the way we met.  A member of the club and myself were out trying to pick up two girls in his car because we were short of girls for the party we were throwing that night and not enough girls showed up.  We were riding along on Eastern Parkway near Utica looking when we both saw these two girls walking; we stopped the car next to them and I asked them if they would come to our party.  I explained the situation to them, told them we had corned beef and tongue sandwiches, soda and other things to eat and drink.

They asked where the party was being held, and when we told them on Axonia Avenue near New Lots, they accepted because it was near where they were living anyway and they wanted a ride home.  And so we all went off to the party.  I picked the girl who called herself Helen, but she later told me her real name was Betty, while the other girls name was Selma Harloff.  

We danced for hours and I brought her drinks and sandwiches to eat and drink.  The other fellow who picked Selma stayed with her but they did not hit it off like Betty and I did.  I liked Betty right off and asked to take her home after the party; of course she wanted me to and so after the party ended Betty and I started to walk to her house on Hinsdale Street, not too far from our club rooms.  I was still living in my furnished room when I met Betty, but shortly afterwards I moved to my motherís place.

Betty and I started dating, and once a week we would go with her friends Hilda and Mike, or Lily and Jack Kalifer to a movie or to someoneís home for a pleasant evening of talk and cards.  We went on automobile rides with Hilda and Mike as he had a new car.  Mike was a cutter for Howard Clothes and Hilda took care of her motherís home while she was busy in her dry-goods store on Belmont Avenue.  Jack was a hand-bag worker, putting the frames in the bag.  

I asked Betty to marry me shortly after we met.  I felt she was the right girl for me.  She was really beautiful and fine.  I donít know where I had the nerve to ask any girl to marry me as I could not support a wife, but I just wasnít worried about that because we were young and healthy and i felt we would make it somehow.  If people just got married when they were secure there would be much fewer marriages than there were.

I had given up working for my uncle Sam at the Central Tucking Company and joined the union.  They would get me jobs whenever I needed one and that way I believed my chances of earning more money were enhanced.  It had become impossible to make a living in my uncleís place.  


Besides, he was becoming a real tyrant in the business.  Just because he was my uncle, he expected me to do different things around the place, without pay and I knew I was being underpaid.

The other operators were getting $55 a week while I only received $31.50 per week.  I was just as good and faster than most of them with one exception, Hymy Pollack, nobody could beat him.  

Besides, he really did not teach me the trade thoroughly as he should have.  I had to go out into other places where they would give me a chance to work on different types of material, and other patterns of designs and workmanship that my uncle never gave me a chance to even try and learn how to do.  It was very important to know these different types of work because many times there was no other work in the place.  The operators who knew how to do this kind of work would stay and work, while the others had to stop and less pay.

My uncle only taught me to do one kind of tucking.  It was called strip tucking, and it was the hardest, yet it was the type of work that was taught to beginners only, because once he got me started he could leave and I would be working on this piece of material all day.  Most of the time the material ran fifty or sixty yards long and full width like fifty-four inches wide.  I would have to fill the whole thing with tucks about one quarter inch apart.  It would take me an hour to do just five lines and most of the pieces took one hundred and twenty lines before it was finished.  

It was hard to pull all this goods up and back all day because it was for ladies coats, and it was pure wool in many different styles and colors.  Doing only this kind of work limited myu earnings considerably, on many styles my uncle just said only the experienced operators can work on this work.  After I left my uncleís place then I really began to earn more money.  I was able to get a steady job with the Active Pleating Company which was in the same building at 48 W. 25th Street in Manhattan.  I was started at $55 dollars a week, this was before my mother came back to Brooklyn from Avenel.

I was living alone in my single room on Avenue U, and even helped my mother by sending money by mail to her in Avenel NJ.  Benjamin did not earn enough to support a wife and two children.  After living in Avenel for about two years, they all moved back to Brooklyn, NY.  They rented a small apartment on Saint Marks AVenue and went on welfare until Benjamin could get started earning some money.  Benny kept trying, he still had his truck and he found things to buy and sell from time to time, but a living he did not make.  Whatever he did it was chicken feed.

My sister Irma gave birth to another girl, now she and Dave had two children named Norma and Phyllis and they lived on East 13th street near U a few blocks from where I lived.  Dave worked in a large printing company but things were not so good for him then.  Most of the workers worked part time, business was slow coming in.  Irma took good care of her two children; she really missed her mother and brother and sister.  She tried to help them as much as she could, but because Dave wasnít earning much she gave very little.

I remember once my mother came to me while I was living in my furnished room; she wanted to stay but had no place to sleep so I arranged with my landlady that she could sleep in my room while I went to my sister Irmaís house and slept on the kitchen floor for a couple of nights.  If I had any money, my mother always knew that she could depend on me.  My money was her money, and if she needed some of it all she had to do was ask for it.

Betty Portnoy and I were keeping steady company now for about a year.  Her friends Lilly and Hilda had gotten married to the young men they were going with and Betty and I attended both weddings.  We were a couple and we decided to get married too, as we hit it off pretty good.  We set a date in July for Christmas Eve Dec. 24, 1933 as our wedding day.  We went looking for a suitable place and finally picked the Hoffman Mansion on Pitkin Avenue.  The whole wedding would cost about three hundred dollars.  Bettyís family and mine were all invited, it was on a Saturday night.  

We got the license, made the arrangement with a prominent Rabbi, chose the food and drinks we wanted served, Betty rented a bridal gown and headpiece, she looked beautiful in it, and I rented a full dress suit with tails and high hat for the occasion.  Christmas Eve finally came around, it was very cold and snowing on that night, but all the invited guests came and even some that werenít.  The ceremony was very nice, Jack Silverstein was my best man and Sarah Portnoy was Bettyís maid of honor.

So Betty Portnoy became Mrs. Julius Dudock.  After the wedding was over we went to our apartment, which we had rented two months before the wedding, and furnished it on time payments from Ludwig Bauman.  We took a nice three room apartment in a big apartment house on 93rd and Winthrop Ave in Flatbush.  The furniture was delivered a month before the wedding, so we had time to get things set up and our clothes hung in the closets and dresser drawers.  We enjoyed our honeymoon in our own place and it was great and also very comfortable for both of us.

We were given some small presents, a little cash as it was a very bad time financially for most people there.  We were in the midst of the worst depression this country has ever known.  My uncle Barnett and his whole family attended the wedding but none of them gave a gift of any kind.  It was embarrassing and unbelievable because he was rich with seven cigar stands in Tudor City, NY , which he owned and had at least a dozen people working for him.  

Barnett did not give gifts to anyone except his own children.  His sons were all in college, studying law and they all three became lawyers eventually.  His daughter Francis had a teacher's license and Eva was going to designing school in New York City.  Three sons lawyers, one daughter a teacher and another daughter a fashion designer was what being able to send your children to get a good education can do.  Getting a fine education was the key to a better life; there was no doubt in my mind about that, and it was something Iíd always remember when I had children of my own.  I made a vow that if it were at all possible my children would all be college graduates.

My uncle Sam and his wife had four children, Leon, Shirley, Jacob and Ethel.  They were all healthy and nice looking, but Sam did not encourage any of them to go to college and so they are all hard workers, just making a poor living.  Maxís children got a good education because their mother tried for them, not Max - he was no good.  Maxís daughter emily was raised by his first wifeís sister.  She is a very fine young lady and is married to a musician, who plays in a band for a living.  They live in a very nice house they own near Brooklyn College.  

My wife and I did not go out of town for our honeymoon, instead we went to different places in New York and Brooklyn.  We both told our bosses that we would like to take two weeks off from work for a honeymoon and we got it without any trouble at all.  Of course we told them we were going out of town but we didnít go.  We were happy to have our own home and nobody bothering us for a while anyway.

Right next door to us lived Harry and Esther Rothblatt and we became friends, we still are to this day.  Betty and i have been invited to many parties at their home and also at their childrenís weddings and later on to the bar-mitzvahs of their sons.  They had two children, a daughter and a son both are very well off and now living in New Jersey.  We go to see them when we can, which is not often.

When Sylvia was born on June 24, 1936, I was in my own business, with a partner named Sam Flashner.  I had been in business twice before with other partners but it wasnít any good and after trying for a year or so we separated and went our separate ways.  This time we were doing very good.  My new partner had connections in the dress business and was able to bring in plenty of work, which I was an expert at producing at a nice profit.  I was drawing $150 a week and also getting extras.  In those days it was a lot of money.

We had started this business in the summer of 1935 and called it The Craft Pleating and Stitching Company.  My investment was $500 cash and my experience in being a fine production man.  I ran the factory, and slowly but surely we grew to a big place in our industry.  After a year we had 55 people working for us in different crafts that we were able to manufacture and contract fo others.  My partner did not have any cash, but he did have a few machines that we could use in our business anyway.


Two of my partnerís customers owed him a few hundred dollars, which he said he would put into the business when heíd receive it. He collected it all right, but he put it in his own pocket and kept it for himself. We started off with two people working besides ourselves -- his nephew Sammy and his girl- friend Miriam. He was a young man going to college at night and working for us days as a pleater, and other things too.He was very good at everything he did. She was a pretty good stitcher and could be depended on for overtime and weekends if we needed her.

My partner had some good connections, with production men in the dress manufacturing business, and they gave him work. Small amounts at the start in order to make sure that his new partner could handle it all right to their satisfaction.  Well, they were more than satisfied because they got their orders back very fast and done right -- just the way they wanted it.  After a few short weeks, they gave us large amounts of cut dresses for pleating, tucking, shirring and other forms of stitching.  We were on our way to success.

My partner, who was eighteen years older than I was, knew a lot of people in the dress business, but they were afraid to give him work because he was a pleater and really didnít know anything about tucking and stitching. If it wasnít done just right the first time, there would be damages and they would get returns from the stores they sold to. So they did not give any work that they werenít sure he could take care of right.  When he became my partner and I managed the factory, everything changed. They recognized a good mechanics supervision and trusted me with their goods. His promises of workmanship that he claimed were excellent did not cut any ice with them any more. However, after we became partners and he took me around to meet some of them, a few were willing to take a chance on me, after talking to me about some of the work they needed taken care of.  I was a very good production man and turned out the work profitable, fast and perfectly made to their satisfaction.  Under my management, some of his former customers began to notice the difference in workmanship and gave us more work than they ever trusted us with before.

Everything was growing and we hired more people to work for us. We also bought new machines -- real good ones from Bunin and Bunin, a machine shop owner who was excellent in his field. We bought fourteen machines from him at an average price of $550 dollars each. With these machines we were able to turn out cording on ladies sailor collars that were very big that year and we made a lot of money because of that move. It was all my doing that got us into this sort of work. Sam Flashner was afraid to tackle it.

Two years after we started this business, we had to find a larger loft and move because there was just not enough room for so many workers and plants of different types of machinery and equipment. We had grown from a small business into one of the biggest shops in our kind of business. Our payroll alone was about four thousand a week. So we found a large loft at 35 West 36th St. Our ernt jumped from $150 to $300 a month, but it did not matter because we were doing so well that my partner and I started drawing $250 a week each and, for a bonus, the business paid for two new cars -- one for each of us. We also took $1500 for Christmas. After drawing the $1500 cash bonus from the business, I bought my wife a fur coat and a diamond engagement ring. I could not afford to before this. My wife and daughter Sylvia went to a hotel in the Catskills for the whole summer and I came up weekends.

It was expensive but I didnít mind. The money was coming in and we might as well enjoy every penny of it. It was then that my partner decided to take a trip to Europe and see some of his relatives. He loved to put up a big front and act like he was a rich man, which he certainly was not. So he went to Poland by ship, which was where his family lived before he came to America. He hadnít seen or heard from any of them in twenty years.

My mother, Benny, my sister Lilly, and brother Harold moved again -- this time to Worcester, Mass. This was the city where Benny had lived for many years and knew a great many people. He could not make a living in New York, he was convinced of that. They rented an apartment on Hillside Street in the city of Worcester and Bennyís brother helped him to get a new truck on installments and start trying to buy and sell burlap bags. His brother owned a liquor store there and wanted to help his brother get started again.

Benny had been a rich man once in this city. So he started buying empty grain bags from the farmers around the countryside, putting them in washing machines with plenty of soap and bleach, ironing them and putting them in neat piles of fifty to a bunch. He tied them and sold them to certain jobbers that were willing to buy as much as he could ship to them for cash on the barrel head. There seemed to be a good market for them and he was able to make a profit.  Then my brother Harold found a jobber in another state that was buying these same bags and paying a lot more money for them. Because of this discovery, he was able to make a good living now. Harold got into a trade school and learned how to work with metal. After he was graduated from the Worcester grade school, he was able to get a good job with Crompton and Knowles, a very large company manufacturing weaving machines for mills. They were doing alright for themselves at last, and I was very happy about that.

Then came the war. Everything was disrupted, my business was no longer good. There were priorities -- no cotton for dresses or blouses. People were leaving the line in order to get into defense work, and in 1941 I had to give up my business and look for a job in defense or be drafted into the army. My draft board informed me of this decision by mail.

Betty came from a large family. She had three brothers and four sisters, all going to school. Her father was a rabbi while he lived and made a very good living for his family. But he was never there when they needed him.His work and making money were the most important things in his miserable life. His children hardly knew him. Her brother Sol was sick mentally and in a sanitarium somewhere in New York. Her brother Phil was in law school and Herbie was in high school, and so were her sisters Sarah and Lena.

Her sister Bertha, her husband Izzy, and their daughter Grace were all living in the motherís house, as Izy could not find a job anywhere to support his family. I think he didnít even look for a job, just as long as his mother-in-law fed him and provided a bed for him to sleep in. Thatís all he wanted. Bettyís mother complained about him all the time. He was always eating and could eat three times as much as most men. The whole family were living off the motherís money for years after the father died. No one worked.


I would like to back a few years and tell what I think is an interesting part of my life.

In the summer of 1935, I met Sam Flashner, and I was so impressed with his selling skills and his acquaintances with important people in the dress industry, I made up my mind to try to go in business again with this go-getter. He was a ďdray Kep,Ē and I knew his reputation as a high liver with women and gambling, too. But I was determined to be in my own business. I liked it because it was exciting and rewarding. If you could make a go of it.

I would have the chance to meet lots of interesting people, not just workers in the line, but businessmen and women, designers, sales people, production men, models and potential customers. Thatís exactly what I wanted. I felt that I was too good just to be a worker in a factory. I had a good brain and could use it if I had the chance. I was creative and smarter than most of the people in my line and so I must not give up my dream of having my own business and must keep trying until Iím successful.

I felt that I belonged among these people. They were alive and exciting and they earned big money, which I always wanted but until now was unable to get. So I decided to try again no matter what happens. So I approached Sam Flashner with a proposition. He was about twenty years older than me with lots of experience in the business world, dealing with important people in the dress line and coat business. Also blouses.

He had a wife and two children. The boy and girl were in college and his wife worked as a sample maker in a large dress manufacturing firm. She earned a very good salary and it was really she that insisted on her son and daughter going to college. I could not understand why she tolerated his ways -- his carrying on with other women -- but she did and he kept on as long as he was free to do it.

His present one was a large, horse-faced woman called Miriam who was separated from her husband. She was Hungarian and a lusty self-indulgent woman that worked hard and made love even harder. She could work around the clock, and we asked her to many times when we needed some work in a hurry. She did everything he wanted her to do in every possible way.

My partner would take her money and give it to his son Jesse, who was in college to become a dentist. His daughter was in college too, and became a teacher. Well, as I say, I approached him and convinced him that if he would devote his time to the outside, getting business from the people he knew so well, I could manage the factory and both of us would make a much better living than we were making now. I really felt we would be successful because of someone brought in the accounts there was no doubt in my mind that I knew how to get the job done right and profitable.

Sam Flashner accepted my proposition two weeks later and we started looking for a loft for rent. We found a pretty good loft at 345 W. 35th St. in the garment district of Manhattan. We were able to get this loft on a two-year lease from $150 per month. My partner and I then went to the Republic Machine COmpany on W. 38th St. and bought ten different kinds of machines on credit. The machine company also put up the plant and all the electric work that was needed. We then contacted a carpenter and had some tables made for pleating and also some shelves built on one entire wall.

All of this took about three weeks to set up and finally we were ready for business. I had put up $500 and my partner was supposed to put up the same amount in a few weeks, after he collected it from his accounts. We had brought about three thousand dollars worth of merchandise, giving as little as we could for deposits.

There were so many different kinds of work, that my partner could take in but he was afraid to take a chance on because if a mistake was made we could be ruined fast, and so he would not take it in.

Well I would go around with him for a few days a week at the beginning and saw work on dresses that I was sure I could do satisfactorily and convinced him to take a chance on it.  You see thatís where the real money is to be made, doing work that not everybody in the industry could do.  Finally, he began to trust me and asked the production men he knew to give him some of the more complicated work.  At first they gave us very small amounts of work in order to try us out.  But when the work was delivered to them and examined thoroughly they found the work all made so perfectly that we were given more and more complicated work and we were on our way.

The orders came in larger and larger until we had to put on a night shift to handle all the work we were getting.  On one type of work alone called lattice work we were making $150 a day profit after meeting payroll and material costs plus overhead.  Naturally we worked on this style sixteen hours a day in two shifts, seven days a week.  We paid our employees overtime rates and also paid off the manager of the union, for a hands-off policy.

This work was my brain-child, because it ws me that found a fresh new method of producing this work at a much greater profit to us.  I had certain gauges made that were fitted on our multiple needle machines and that way we saved money on labor and cutting expenses.  This difference more than doubled our profits.  Our operators turned out fourteen yards or better every hour and that was twice as much as other places were getting.  We also saved money on the pressing, because the stitched straps were held down on buckram.  There was other work too that if not for me, my partner would never have attempted to take in.  We did machine pleating and although Sam Flashner was a pleater by trade and should have known all the tricks of the trade, when something was not working just right it was me that came up with an idea that turned out to be the right solution to the problem.

I was a tucker and stitching expert, but it was my head that worked out ways of doing the work more profitably.  For instance, we received a very large order to do pleating on ladies sleeves, the first order amounted to about $3000 and something went wrong in the production process as it came out of the machine.  The sleeves which were placed between two sheets of tissue paper did not stay together as they should have, and it could not be delivered like this.

My partner didnít know what to do, so he started screaming and yelling at the help, but they did not know what to do either.  The man in charge of the pleating department was very upset and getting more panicky by the minute.  If this work was spoiled we very well could lose our best customer.  I had an idea that saved the day and it worked out just great.  My idea, very simple but scientific. I went down to the hardware store on eighth avenue and bought a sprayer I remembered what they did in the movies before air conditioning in the hot weather.

The ushers would walk around and spray the air above the audience and thus remove the foul smelling air.  They used a very fine spray and thatís what I was looking for.  I found some on 38th Street and 8th avenue and bought two of them, went back to my place of business, filled one of them with cold water, started the pleating again and sprayed as the material passed into the electrically heated machine.  The result was water turning into steam and thus holding the material and paper together, no damage, it worked fine.

But Sam Flashner was a crook at heart, and even though we were making a very good living, in those days 1937 we were drawing fourteen grand apiece and also extras.  We had a good business there and it was getting better, our expansion plans profits were shaping up great.  My partner made up his mind to take a trip to Europe that year, he wanted to see some relatives and show them what a big successful businessman he was.  So he booked passage on a Greek ship and went off on his two months holiday, taking money from Epstein Garment on account without my knowledge or consent.  He also cleaned out Miriamís savings.

When he came back after ten weeks abroad, he had some very dishonest schemes concerning our partnership.  He always could spend more money than he could afford and thought that if the business was all his he would have more money for himself.  He was wrong because he did not possess the know-how of production techniques.

At about that time Louis Epstein who was the sole owner of Epstein Garment and our biggest customer, was getting wise about Sam Flashnerís closeness with Phil Silvers who was the production boss for Mr. Epstein.  He thought that Phil was paying us too much money for the work he gave us and started to call in other people in our line.  He was amazed at the difference in price.  Most of them were willing to do the work much cheaper than we were charging.

It didnít look too good for us.  Phil was being paid a percentage on all the orders he gave us.  In addition, my partner fixed him up with a girl that worked for us, when she went out with him and slept with him she was being paid from the business as if she were working overtime.  We gave Phil his share in cash every time a check came in from Epstein Garment and it amounted to a lot of money.

We were doing between twenty and twenty-two thousand a month with Epstein Garment, but now the trouble was starting as Mr. Epstein himself took it upon himself to check all of our bills before making payment to us, the Craft Pleating and Stitching Company, Inc.

Phil Silvers had done all of this before, and he was told that Mr. Epstein himself wanted to take care of this.  There was nothing he could do about it.  He cut many of our charges by as much as 30% or more and told my partner that if he didnít like it, then nobody was forcing him to take any business from Epstein at all.  Without Epsteinís business, on which we made a very fine living for a few years, things started to get pretty bad for our business.

Finally, Sam Flashner said that we had better have a serious talk about the future of the business.  I knew exactly what he had in mind even before he opened his mouth to say a word.  He wanted me to bring in some money from home, in order to keep the business going while he would try to replace the Epstein account.  Again, he promised to bring in some money too, but I knew that he never would.  He was a person that only takes, never gives anything but promises.

I wanted to save the business so I brought in nine hundred dollars a few days later.  I insisted that he bring in the same.  A week later he told me that he didnít have any money at all, and as a matter of fact he was in debt over his head to a shylock.  Well, it didnít take long before this money was used up, and he wanted me to bring in some more.  I refused to bring in another penny unless he put in the same amount as me.

We were introduced by a friend of mine named Sam Kliman to an accountant, who had connections in a bank in Manhattan.  This man told us that for a fee of 15% to him, he could get us a loan from this bank he had connections in.  We agreed to his terms hoping that this money, if we got it, could save our business.  I had to get this loan without Sam Flashnerís signature, because his name was no good for credit anywhere in the business world.  There were so many judgements out against him that if the bank found out he were connected with the business then we could forget about getting a loan.  This accountant filled out the papers for the loan and I signed them all myself as the sole owner of the Craft Pleating.

About a month later, I received a check from the bank for $2500.  I deposited the check in our business checking account.  We were supposed to pay it back in monthly installments, but after just two payments the money was all gone and we were worse off than before.  I was pushed out of the business by Flashner with the help of a crooked lawyer he knew.  I was paid one thousand dollars for my stock, after I threatened to go to the District Attorney.  My attorney, in checking the books, discovered that Sam Flashner had drawn over $3000 from the business without my knowledge or consent.

For that reason, he could be charged with embezzlement, and falsifying corporate books.  Flashner was afraid of going to jail again, he served time in Sing Sing which I knew nothing about until years later.  He went to his wife and took $1000 from her to save himself and paid it to me.  The way he stole money from the business was easy for him.  He would go to our customers and ask for some money in advance, and when he got it instead of depositing it in our company checking account he would cash the checks and keep the money for himself and not say anything about it.

My lawyer was Alexander Cymret who married my cousin Eva Silverstein.  He managed to get my name off the lease for a $25 bribe to the real estate agent in our building.  I received altogether $1,000 in cash, and Flashner agreed to make the payments to the bank.

Linked toAlison Dudock; Bernard Dudock; Frank Dudock; Halana Dudock; Harold Dudock; Ida Dudock; Judith Dudock; Julius Dudock; Lawrence Dudock; Lillian Dudock; Samuel Dudock; Living; Anna Polansky; Barnett Polansky; Beatrice Polansky; Charlette Polansky; Emily Polansky; Ethel Polansky; Ilene Polansky; Jack Polansky; Leon Polansky; Living; Max Polansky; Sam Polansky; Selma Polansky; Shirley Polansky; Simon Polansky; Living

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29» Next»     » Slide Show